Lieutenant General Trautman has served as the Deputy Commandant for Aviation since July 2007.
- He is a graduate of Pennsylvania State University and he holds a Master of Science degree in Systems Management from the University of Southern California, and Master of Arts degrees in International Relations from Salve Regina University and in National Security and Strategic Studies from the Naval War College. He is also a graduate of the Armed Forces Staff College and has served as a Fellow in residence at the Brookings Institution.
- After graduating from The Basic School, Lieutenant General Trautman served with various aviation squadrons in 3d Marine Aircraft Wing and 1st Marine Brigade from 1976 through 1984 before being assigned as a UH-1 instructor pilot with Marine Aviation Weapons and Tactics Squadron One at MCAS Yuma, Arizona. In 1987, he attended the College of Naval Command and Staff followed by a two year tour as the Assistant Operations Officer aboard USS Okinawa.
- From 1990 through 1993, Lieutenant General Trautman served first as Executive Officer, then as Commanding Officer, of Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 169 in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm. He was then assigned to the Joint Staff, Force Structure, Resources, and Assessment Directorate (J-8).
- From 1997 through 1999, Lieutenant General Trautman served as Commanding Officer, Marine Aircraft Group 36. He then returned to the Pentagon as Branch Head, Aviation Weapon Systems Requirements Branch, Headquarters Marine Corps.
- In July 2000, Lieutenant General Trautman was assigned as the 3d Marine Aircraft Wing Assistant Wing Commander. From November 2001 through March 2002, he assumed additional duties as the Deputy Commanding General, I Marine Expeditionary Force and Commanding General, 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade.
- From June 2002 until August 2004, Lieutenant General Trautman served as Deputy Director, Plans and Policy (J-5), U. S. Central Command while forward deployed at various locations in support of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
- From August 2004 through June 2005, Lieutenant General Trautman served as the Deputy Commander, U. S. Marine Corps Forces, Pacific and as Commanding General, Marine Corps Base Hawaii. He then served as the Commanding General, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing from June 2005 through June 2007.
Lieutenant General Trautman’s personal decorations include the Defense Superior Service Medal (Oak Leaf Cluster in lieu of 2nd award), the Legion of Merit (Gold Star in lieu of 2nd award), the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, the Meritorious Service
Medal (Gold Star in lieu of 4th award), the Strike/Flight Air Medal, the Navy-Marine Corps Commendation Medal, and the Combat Action Ribbon.