12/23/2013: The THAAD system has been deployed to Guam from Fort Bliss to deal with the evolving missile threat from North Korea, against US facilities in the region and beyond.
In his presentation to the Air Force Association Pacific Forum, the PACAF Commander, General Hawk Carlisle, highlighted the contribution made by the US Army in moving a THAAD battalion to Guam in record time. Instead of a 6 week deployment cycle, the battalion was moved an operational in two weeks time!
We had a chance to follow up on Carlisle’s introduction of the subject with an phone interview with Task Force Talon Commander, LTC Cochrane, the THADD battalion commander who is currently based on Guam. We will publish this interview early next year.
According to a briefing provided by then Army Pacific Commander. Lt. General Wiercinski in May 2013:
There is “no time limit” on the deployment of the THAAD missile battery system to Guam.
The THAAD system arrived at Guam’s Andersen Air Force Base on Saturday April 13 from Ft. Bliss in Texas. It was deployed here in response to threats from North Korea to attack Guam.
During the briefing, Lt. Gen. Wiercinski told reporters that “for the first time, we deployed theater ballistic missile defense to Guam in protection of the homeland.”
He called the deployment to Guam of THAAD “a big change” and he said “there is no time limit” on the Guam THAAD deployment “right now.”
The THAAD battalion is a U.S. response to North Korea as part of the second nuclear age.
The photos below provide a look at the system.
Credit Photos: DOD or Lockheed Martin
- The first photo provides a sense of Guam in relationship to North Korea.
- The second and third photos show the TEL for the THAAD.
- The fourth photo shows the launcher at rest at sunset.
- Photos 5 through 7 show the THAAD being launched.
- The eighth photo shows U.S. Army Pacific commander Gen. Vincent Brooks takes a photo with the A4 THAAD during his visit to the unit at Andersen AFB, Guam on Sunday, Aug. 18, 2013. The A4 THAAD deployed to Guam in April as a part of the 94th AAMDC Task Force Talon Mission.
- The ninth photo shows U.S. Army Pacific commander Gen. Vincent Brooks speaking with soldiers of the A4 THAAD about numerous personnel and operational issues during his visit to the unit at Andersen AFB, Guam, on Sunday, Aug. 18, 2013.
- The final photo provides a graphic with regard to how THAAD works.